Political Earthquakes at Twilight

547334_354818501263925_1470844311_n

I don’t normally say anything about politics on this blog, but seeing the dramatic direction that politics is taking in light of America’s current election results and Britain’s Brexit, I had a few thoughts I wanted to write down. Not about the candidates, but about political trends as a mirror of deeper problems within, an omen of the world to come.

What I see evolving as a key catalyst in our political trends today is a growing existentialist dread people have about today’s world order, whether people are liberal, conservative, or whatever they are.

Today we live under a sort of soulless corporate, capitalistic world order that puts out the message that they’re building a better world for all of us – that everyone is important – and that if we work hard, everyone can have a piece of the pie.

But people have figured out that the world is being run by a powerful club, and they’re not part of the club. And now they’re willing to lash out in anger. In violence. To put anyone in power who even hints at doing something to destroy that club. I am not justifying the anger, the violence or the choices. I am just commenting on why people are doing what they do.

We live in a world where people are hungry for change, purpose and meaning. You see the growth of extreme religions as a result of this. Extreme Islam. Extremism in Christianity. Even extremism in Hinduism in India. The extremism and polarization of political movements.

Beneath this is a deep crisis of identity as we all become cogs as part of one large corporate, capitalist machine. And so I think this is why people are now latching onto extreme forms of identity, whether it be religion, race or nationality. Because we live in a time where there is a crisis of authenticity. Where everything seems fake, hopeless and meaningless. Where people are tired of false truths and fake platitudes.

But in addition to that people are terrified. Scared of the loss of their jobs, livelihood, but also scared of something ominous and foreboding to come.

I think this is why it is important for people to connect with new but ancient spiritual truths. Truths that can connect them with the Earth and to themselves. To something eternal. Hopefully a re-connection to our Earthly and eternal roots can be the spiritual medicine to inoculate us against the effects of a disastrous world that has stood against the laws of nature.

But all and all, we are living in a time of dramatic changes ahead. A time of political earthquakes. The twilight of an era. For better or for worse.

12 responses

1. Unfortunately, frightened angry people very often make pretty horrible decisions. And a man who talks of “rigged” elections, while not being able to keep businesses that ARE rigged in his favor (casinos) from going broke, who had a server connected ONLY to Russia in his basement, never showed his taxes and likely won’t put up with “conflict of interest” questions about his businesses now? Not the sort you want in charge of a nuclear arsenal and an exhausted military when he already blusters and says the generals are idiots. Twilight might be considerably brighter than our way forward…

November 9, 2016 at 1:23 pm

2. Dip Chip

I personally love what you wrote here. I think that acknowledging the obvious signs of change is the best thing we can do right now! I think its important to stay optimistic and push for positive change in our own lives as we hope for the world to work in tandem with that goal, resulting in positive change overall. The fear being propegated is only going to hold us back and cause more bad decisions. My fellow students at the school I go to have a pessimistic cloud hanging over them, even the ones who have seen recent political events as good things. I think it could be a reflection of how humans almost always resist/dislike change and movement if not previously aware of it. Consciousness is key!

November 16, 2016 at 11:24 pm

• Thanks! I’m trying to stay positive, which is hard to do these days. But it helps to know there are other like minded folk out there.

November 27, 2016 at 9:18 pm

• I am pleased you consider my comments worthy. I love your site, BTW! It is nice to find others of your caliber, and thank you!

November 28, 2016 at 2:16 pm

• You’re welcome!

November 28, 2016 at 2:22 pm

3. jadedraco

We have corrupted the natural order of mother Gaia for over two thousand years, pushing it so far off center I fear and cry, it rends my heart what destruction we have committed to our home with angry uninformed decisions. I have had a strong connection with “nature” all my life. I would get along fine without technology. I know how to survive without raping the planet. This is no stab at anyone, it follows the rules of take what you need but no more.
    I personally don’t care to live under a regime that strives to regain a superpower status. History has shown time and time again that superpower on the human level advocates destruction for gain which is eminent destruction for that regime. I am not a fatalist, I speak from my heart from what I see, hear, and read. I was wiccan for several years but wanted a deeper connection. I found this by embracing paganism as a way of actually living like I belong. I have a deep reverence for nature, her rules and her punishments for breaking those rules. I hope I will be comfortably recycling as dirt when Gaia snaps back into alignment for that twilight will usher in a new Era, for sure. Our sun will shine for another five billion years…….will we? I pray we all become enlightened, but such is human nature.

November 25, 2016 at 3:03 am

4. jadedraco

I don’t normally post to blogs but I like how genuine people that “get it” can be. Great site, excellent commentary! I don’t care for politics per say, just another word for liar or charlatan in my opinion. Our duly elected leader of the idiot generals club is, I feel, going to usher in a new era which may spell twilight for all concerned.

November 25, 2016 at 4:10 am

5. Emmett

I agree. Even a small shift towards simplicity, a reconnect to the utopia already established for thousands of years prior, might be our saving grace.

November 25, 2016 at 1:57 pm

• Hopefully we can make those important changes before it’s too late.

November 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm

6. Upon moderation, please delete this comment and the first two as they are the rantings of an informed, yet angry individual. Doom and destruction are not my norm and I will refrain. Thankyou.

November 25, 2016 at 2:17 pm

• Are you sure you want me to delete those comments? I don’t mind them.

November 27, 2016 at 9:22 pm